Today Stephen had the day off and we met with our State Farm agent to set up a rollover for my 401K savings from my time at PHC. Anyway, in regards to our financial situation, it was the best 2 hours we "invested" since we've been married. I highly recommend it for someone just starting out. For people like us, who don't have much background in money matters, it was quite the education. Our agent was probably a pretty unique one -former major league baseball player, very down to earth though. You'd have thought we had a lot more money than we did by his attention. Nora even got a downright cute State Farm bear for being so good. The meeting reminded us of things we knew, I guess, the importance of saving and planning wisely. Good stuff.
When we arrived home, though, it was great to hear my husband pray over our meal and ask that God would make us good stewards of His resources. Without that starting point and foundation, things like planning for retirement and college funds and life insurance by themselves can create, I imagine, very selfish, fretful and materially-minded people. Even just on the drive home I was trying to think of how to squeeze every penny we can to put into savings. That's not necessarily bad, but is if it keeps us from being faithful in giving, hospitality and tithing generously. So, thanks to my hubby and ultimately to our Faithful, heavenly Father, I thought that was a good end to a very productive day off.
No comments:
Post a Comment