23 January 2006

Barnes and Noble pick-me-up

This morning I was having a case of the Monday Blues. The week stretched before me promising little variation and little hubby company as he is in a crunch time at work in addition to looming deadlines for grad school applications. This afternoon I began organizing my boxes of photos from the past five years -an overwhelming, but-fun-nevertheless project. I have a lot to catch up on there...college experiences, my wedding, a number of moves, first baby. Then there was editing work, laundry, dinner prep, etc., etc. By the time dinner was over, I was ready to bust out of our apartment. (Let me interject praise here -Stephen did watch Nora when he got home so I could go workout by myself. I really look forward to that part of my day, and Stephen consistently makes it happen.) But anyway, back to wanting to escape the apartment complex... I bundled Nora up and we headed off to Barnes and Noble. It was so much fun! Now that Nora is babbling and mimicking more, our outings have an aura of camaraderie. We walked all through the children's section stopping at the board books section. I passed slowly by the shelves, and when I determined that Nora was particularly interested in a book, I picked it up to read to her. I discovered I really liked the books by Eric Carle. To top the evening off, I popped into the adjoining Starbucks for a Vanilla Latte. Nora's constant cooing buttered up the cashier who gave me a Venti for the Tall price. Nice.

3 comments:

Katie said...

Sounds like fun. :-) Have you checked out Sandra Boynton's board books? They have a great read-aloud rhythm that Autumn really enjoys.

Stephen, Sarah, Nora, Joseph and Isaiah said...

I'll have to check those books out. I love children's books :)

Amy K said...

Ahh. I can relate to this post at many levels. Monday mornings, fighting monotony, boxes of photos that need to be organized and put in albums (when I can find the time and be able to afford it!), loving children's books, etc.

I'm glad to hear that you had a little respite at the bookstore. I think B&N is one of the most fun places to kill time.