08 March 2009

Encouragement in sickness

I was struck down with a ruptured ovarian cyst earlier this week. It is not an exaggeration to say that this experience has been a trial. I am confident God is using this time to strengthen my faith and am filled with gratefulness for the particular encouragements He has used to uplift me.

On this Sabbath day of rest, I am grateful for:

1. God's grace by which He works all things to His glory and our good
But we have this treasure in jars of clay, to show that the surpassing power belongs to God and not to us. We are afflicted in every way, but not crushed; perplexed, but not driven to despair; persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed; always carrying in the body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be manifested in our bodies.
2 Cor. 4: 7-10

2. A self-sacrificing husband
Stephen took me to the ER on Wednesday just hours before he was due to sit for the oral examination portion of his qualifying exams at UD (A big deal. Given half-way through the program to determine who goes on), which necessarily had to be postponed as did his first midterm on Friday (praise God that the profs were gracious). He has served me and the children with the grace and love of Christ that has pictured for me the love of Christ for the church, taking on the "in sickness" part of our wedding vows.

3. Praying family
I know that being away from parents and siblings is as hard for them as for us. What a blessing to know they are faithfully praying.

4. A Christian community
Meals. Childcare. Words of encouragement. Running errands. I have been reminded of the beautiful picture and high calling of mercy ministry. God has strengthened my faith not only through my personal relationship with Him, but also through the ministry of His people to me. I hope I am spurred to take up that ministry more seriously when I'm able. I pray that I have the eyes to see need. I know it is all around me.

5. The Gospel going forth
I know that the internet is a new tool for wider Gospel proclamation, but I had not personally made use of that tool until today. I heard this timely message from this site this morning. What an appropriate response to the health and wealth gospel man is tempted to set up.

3 comments:

Jessica said...

Wow, I'm sorry to hear about that! Praying that you will heal quickly, and that God continues to give you the grace to get through.

Amy K said...

Sarah, our prayers are with you that you continue to recover! I'm grateful to see your faith in this and I'm so sorry you had to go through it!

The Heart said...

Sarah, so sorry to hear you are ill. We will be praying for you all.