24 March 2009

What I really heard and saw while listening to Obama

I strive to be an informed, engaged citizen. Stephen and I pulled out the tv and tried to listen to the president's speech and press conference. Sometimes a thwarted attempt can be comical, like tonight.

Prior to the speech, I bathed all four kids (my own and my two Tu/Th charges), then I gave the three oldest ones each a lollipop as I had promised. I know what most of you are thinking. And no, I wasn't thinking. What I was not thinking was that Stephen and I are coming to the realization that Joseph cannot handle his sugar.

Obama: "spending, spending, spending..."
Joseph: zooming between the two recliners on either side of our tv, shreaking at high decibels, and punctuating each sprint with rapid head banging into the seat of the recliner...for many, many minutes without tiring.

Less loud, but more novel was this sight and conversation off to our left in the dining room.

Nora (holding Francis' hand, obviously very pleased with herself): Come on, my prince. Where are you taking me?
Francis (a quiet, intelligent boy who likes his space, who is shockingly allowing himself to be led around the kitchen island): [says nothing]
Nora: We should go on a date.
Francis (pulls away and returns to his blocks):
[says nothing]
Nora: Please hold my hand...plllleeeeaassseeee hold my hand, Francis.
Francis (concentrates intently on blocks):
[says nothing]

At this point, I continue to try to track with the speech, but realize I'll probably just need to read the articles later...

1 comment:

Megan said...

HA!

I love your children. The end.