13 January 2007

Wind blown

Friday brought the end of Stephen's first semester as a grad student. There was much rejoicing and even homemade cinnamon rolls and hot cider in celebration :-D

Weather until now has been mild and dry. Last week was different -not much colder, but wet and windy. Yesterday, we seized the opportunity for a family walk when the skies cleared after breakfast. We headed to the West Sands beach, near the old course, about a 10 minute walk from our flat. Even though it is that close, we had not been down to that beach in a couple months. Even with the clear sky, it was a blustery day. And the wind only grew stronger as we neared the beach. We noticed as we approached, gusts of sand blowing down toward the sea. It was a spectacular, romantic effect. Nora dismounted from her stroller when we reached the beach and ran along the sand, hard packed from a week of rain. When the wind blew against her back, preventing her from stopping, she let out a worried wail. After placing the stroller behind a dune, turned sideways with the diaper bag inside to weight it, Stephen picked up Nora to comfort and carry her as we walked toward the sea. As we walked, pushed along by the wind, the sand rushed through our legs and against our backs. The closer we got to the sea, the wind's strength increased and we knew as magical as the trip toward the sea was, the hike back would be gruesome. We turned (Nora's face tucked against Stephen's chest) and sand drove into our face. We closed our eyes and pushed against the wind as we trudged back. When I slowly opened an eye to check my progress, I sensed what I thought was a person -quickly realized was a chair on wheels that looked eerily familiar. "Oh, no!" (I'm sure that's what I shrieked as I bolted at break-neck speed after our stroller that was shooting down the beach toward the sea). I don't think I've run that fast in years, but I was picturing our stoller getting sucked into the sea. The fact that the diaper bag with my wallet was there as well hadn't registered yet, but it would as I raced along and jumped knee-deep into the sea. In the end, the stroller and bag were saved. The stroller, bag and me were plastered in sand as we walked the 200 yards (Stephen's estimate -I haven't a clue in guesstimating these things) back to the walkway leading up off the beach. It was grueling, but in a funny way, exciting. And I went home to a warm shower and leftover homemade pizza (currently my favorite food -I've even craved it, and I never craved food with Nora), and haven't gotten a cold, yet. Oh, one more funny addition. At the head of the sands, a very concerned gentleman asked us if Nora was alright. We eventually figured out that he thought Nora was in "the pram." Thank goodness, no, we replied (Thinking: No, we did not leave our daughter in her stroller as we walked down the beach.) Anyhow, lest you think our outings are all idyllic, no. Wish I had a picture or better yet, video. I'm sure I looked ridiculous. I laugh to think of it.

4 comments:

myinkwell said...

to save your stoller and wallet -that's one good reason to sprint on the famous Chariots of Fire beach. :-P

Nathan J. Marcisz said...

Oh, I'd hate that. But you'll have summer to walk on it. Probably less windy then.

Unknown said...

hey Sarah! I miss you (and Stephen and Nora of course!) Hopefully I'll catch ya'll online sometime and we can chat. Right now, I'm sick :-(

Nathan J. Marcisz said...

(Sung to the tune of The Can, Can)

Update, update, update, update, update, update update update
Update..... had enough?

Well, you get the point..... Happy Saturday, by the way!