30 January 2007

Twins!

I bet I got you to read this post :) I had my "12 week" scan today (I'm actually 14 weeks along now; it just didn't work out to have it sooner). Stephen and I were able to see baby Shipp's (uno) head, arms, legs, spine and heart beat. The scan machine used for early pregnancies doesn't show much detail, but it was exciting in any case. I was disappointed in retrospect that we didn't hear the heartbeat especially when I realized that my next appointment is at 20 weeks with another scan (that's mid-March!). It's not until 24 weeks that I meet with a midwife at a local clinic. I plan to ask to hear the heartbeat at 20 weeks though, and hope the hospital has the tools handy to oblige. The nurse we met with today spoke very positively about my desire to have a natural birth this time around, so that was encouraging.

I had a couple dreams over the past few weeks that I had twins. I didn't realize until today how nervous I had made Stephen in relaying these dreams until after the scan when he said he was happy to see one baby. It's not that we wouldn't welcome more children, but two at a time is a daunting thought. In addition to the dreams, I had a small child at the coffee shop where I work ask me, first, if I was having puppies (she apparently owned a dog that just had puppies) and then when her aunt (embarrassed) explained that I had a baby in my tummy, the girl added the inquiry of whether I was having five babies (the number of puppies she now has). Work can be an exciting (and embarrassing) place. Not only do I have children wondering whether I'm having a litter, I also had a customer, a grown (assumed drunk) man request to touch my stomach when he learned I was pregnant. I (red-faced) politely and firmly refused his request.

Stephen begins his second term next Monday. We've enjoyed his break in-between terms, but it is going by too quickly. I have a lot of posts I hope to add highlighting our trip to Rome and Stephen's parents visit (they fly back on Saturday). I have over a thousand pictures to sort through though, so it may take a while. At least I got one more post in before the end of January. It's been a crazy busy and exciting second half of the month.

7 comments:

Amy K said...

Yay! So exciting! I'll go in for my first appt. at 14 weeks too (next Monday) but I don't know if they'll do an ultrasound. It will just be nice to hear everything is (hopefully) fine.

And, as far as twins is concerned ... I would like twins someday because it means more kids and less pregnancies (which sounds very attractive to me). But I really don't think my life can handle twins right now. I already feel overwhelmed as it is. :-/

Enjoy the rest of your time with Stephen's family!

Ceil said...

You definitely got my attention with that one. Glad to hear everything is going well! Can't wait to hear about your trip.

~Beth

Cosette said...

Stephen and Sarah--We really enjoy reading your blog page and staying caught up on what's happening with your family! Nora looks like such a sweet girl--we hope to meet her in person one day! Congrats on a new little Shipp on the way!! How exciting :)

~Joel and Jaime Curtis

Nathan J. Marcisz said...

That girl sounds funny! Puppies? Ha. Anyways, I hope you get to hear the baby's heartbeat. Do you know the gender yet?

Anonymous said...

What an adorable story! Don't think I had one to top that with six pregnancies, although I had some "doozies!" We are grateful to hear that you are feeling well and taking good care of our grandchildren.
Love,
Mom

Katie said...

sarah, you're evil. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Funny, the only pregnancy dreams I've had thus far were as follows:

1) My older sister was due before me, even though when I saw her 3 weeks before I had this dream she wasn't pregnant at all and I was 3 months.

2) That when I went to work the next day I was told two other girls I work with were not only expecting their first child, but also their second. Not twins, but double pregnacies. One was due in July and then again in November.

Talk about a nightmare for them.

But for me thus far, no dreams about twins or puppies, etc.

Congrats on #2! :)