23 October 2008

Texas State Fair

Thank you Megan and KC for our fair tickets!!!

Last Saturday, we took a much needed family trip to the TX State Fair. We were all SO excited, especially the girls :) I was impressed with the animal feeding barn. It went beyond your basic farm animals. We saw kangaroos (above), tortoises, a giraffe, zebras, ostriches, myriads of species of antelope -like animals as well as goats and other farm animals. And most of them, we could feed! It was hard to get many pictures though; just a bit crowded.



Nora's ride choice. We were pushing the Ferris wheel, but maybe next year...

Our pre-dinner sugar appetizer.

We had gotten a book about fairs from the library (unintentionally), and once we had announced the day before that we would be going, that's all Nora could talk about :)

Our one stop fair booth. Turkey legs and funnel cake, what more could you ask for?

Food highlight of the fair -roasted turkey leg. Stephen, Nora and I were all starving, and we all filled up with one leg and some leftover! And it was delicious. Food downside of the fair: funnel cake is not an elephant ear; good in it's own way, but you can't be expecting the other. Sadly, elephant ears don't seem to be offered here (or in Georgia, according to my hubby; maybe just the Midwest? But seriously, what is a fair without an elephant ear?!?!).

Yep, they fry everything here too. Didn't try that one, so can't report on how they fry coke?!

Goodbye fair!

1 comment:

Amy K said...

How fun! I had never heard of an elephant ear until I moved here. We don't have them in CA. So I'm thinking it must be a Midwest thing. And I agree-they're better than funnel cakes.