08 July 2009

Our July 4th celebration






The festivities began with a parade in which the kids participated as candy-throwing-and-eating props atop an antique firetruck in support of our state representative (thanks to Matt for the connection and sweet -literally- ride). Lauren and I supported the effort until the the start of the parade and then headed to a local diner to enjoy the AC. Stephen was crowd control on the firetruck. Lucky him :0) But, good for us all, the whole party was treated to breakfast at said local diner ("Joe's Coffee Shop") by Rep. Linda Harper Brown after the parade. Not a bad way to start the day!

We hosted the Brownfields and a new family in our church (including Nora's first little girlfriend, Hannah -wish I had a photo of them playing dress up!) for a grilled steak lunch, followed by a wonderfully LONG nap and fireworks that evening. Yes, we did venture out and wait hours past the kiddos bedtime for the show, which is something as parents we tell ourselves was good for building memories. We'll leave it at that :0) There might have been tears at points and much sweating (yah, it really doesn't cool off here in the evening) and not enough snacks/ water and a long wait, but we've forgotten all that and just remember the excitement and fun. So, for the record, we say, all in all, a good 4th of July here in Texas.

2 comments:

Megan said...

I love your pictures. I'm so glad the parade was a success and that the kiddos enjoyed it. See, I'm a diva at heart too, and I've ALWAYS wanted to be in a parade so I figured at lease Nora would love it. :)

Amy K said...

That's awesome--I'm sure the kids loved being IN a parade (not many kids can say they've done that) and it will be a good memory. It's amazing how years down the road, we easily forget all the down-sides of things.