19 November 2006

Thanksgiving week

Our Thanksgiving celebration will last a week long this year. This may be obvious, but a month or so ago, the reality hit me that Thanksgiving is an American holiday. Thus, Stephen's Thursday 5-7pm class would be held and I would be working. There was no way I could make Thanksgiving the family gathering time it was in the States, but we've been able to make some fun plans that stretch from yesterday through next Sunday. A week of Thanksgiving festivities -not bad :-)

Yesterday, I baked a Thanksgiving-themed dinner, which we shared with some American friends (my running buddy and her husband). Chicken (no 40 cents a pound Turkeys here...), stuffing, sweet potato casserole, rolls, spinach and cranberry salad, pecan pie. Yum.

Thanksgiving day we will go to a potluck organized by a American student. I'm designated to bring the pecan pie.

Next weekend we'll head to see some friends in Airdrie. They're hosting a Thanksgiving meal and we'll be able to go to church with them the next day. I went on a short-term mission trip to the RP church there in high school, so it will be a fun (surreal) reunion. We're renting a car for the weekend. Stephen, my brave and amazing husband will be driving -his first UK driving experience. It's possible we'll die on the road. Even more possible we'll kill each other from the stress of him driving and me attempting to read a map (haha). Should be fun! And if we survive, we plan to rent a car again the next weekend so Stephen can take me to the Edinburgh airport where Nora and I have a flight to Indiana. Yahoo! Our eleven day trip was only planned last week, so it has all happened quickly. Lots to do before then -buy Christmas presents, pack, celebrate Stephen's birthday early (December 3 and I'll be gone...what kind of a wife am I?!). He encouraged us to go though and I think is looking forward to being able to focus on his studies and grad school applications without needing to take breaks to change dirty diapers. I bet he'll miss being greeted with toddler kisses though...

We'll I'm off for the night. Have a blessed Thanksgiving.

1 comment:

Kaitlyn said...

A week of Thanksgiving festivties...not bad, not bad at all (esp. considering you're in a land where Thanksgiving isn't celebrated)