

We spent four full days touring Rome. On day five (Sunday), we joined a church of Scotland congregation for worship before heading down to Amalfi. We loved our time in Rome. It rained off and on the first day, but we enjoyed clear skies the rest of the time. The city is amazing. I read in a travel book prior to our trip that Rome is a city that people either love or hate. We quickly came to love it. It is a fascinating, thought-provoking place. We found ourselves wishing we could see the ruins as they were. It was sobering to see the Colosseum in person and think of the many Christians who gave their lives for Christ there. Visiting the catacombs was possibly my favorite experience...One of the most vivid pictures in my memory is a stone inscribed with a rough sketch of three symbols: a fish -icthys (Iesus-Jesus; CHristos-Christ; THeou -of God; Yios -Son; Soter -Savior), a monogram of the name of Christ in Greek and an anchor. It was a powerful reminder of the hope we have as the anchor of our soul, the temporal nature of our lives and the calling we have as Christians to live, and if necessary, die for Christ. We weren't able to take pictures in the Catacombs or in another of our most-favorite sites, the Sistine Chapel, where Michelangelo spent nearly four years painting the ceiling. I found a couple pictures online which are posted above. To see a selection of our pictures from Rome, click here.
3 comments:
Was that first pic of the catacombs? From what you told me, those sounded pretty awesome. Wish I could tour Europe! Especially Venice. I really want to go there someday..... someday....
cool sound's like you had a lot of fun at rome!!!!
~jenna
Did you have difficulty finding the Mouth of Truth? I search for it and asked every english-speaking person I could find, before realizing it was inside that vestibule. =)
Your pics are great! Makes me want to back.
Post a Comment