Passion.
This clip from "Good Morning America" (click on the first one listed) features a young man that I used to babysit during my undergrad years. At the time, he was a shy boy. I was blown away by how mature and articulate he is now. The initial interest in catching up on an old acquaintance yielded a few lasting impressions concerning the question: About what am I passionate? Passion is a powerful motivation. So many in our culture direct their passions toward material wealth or pleasure. To be reminded to have pure passions, to have right emotion accompanied by action, was moving. I was further moved because I knew some background information about Zach's family. His mom has a leadership role in the communications department of the International Justice Mission and his father has written at least one book that I know of for the organization. His parents passions influenced his own. As a parent, that is a sobering reminder to me. First, I was challenged to have a passion for Christ and for that to be evident to those I'm closest to -my family. Additionally, though, it was another tug on my heart to be more proactive, if only in a small way, to use my journalism training in a way that I've been attracted for years -to help the hurting and persecuted in the world, to serve orphans and widows. While being a wife and mother is my dream career, I can't deny that working for IJM or a similar organization would be my dream job.
Eternity.
The fact that I came across both these posts on the same night has caused thoughts of the two to interplay. Thinking on eternity adds an urgency to having right passions in this life. I know many of the people who read my blog know of Amy Wilhoite's blog. Though I have never met her, I went to school with her husband. I am attaching the link for those who don't know of her because I would hope that if you take the time to read even some of it, your faith would be encouraged, as mine has been and that you would remember to pray for this dear family. As you'll see, Amy has leukemia and the diagnosis is not good. She is a Christian though and the sincerity of her struggle and amazing eternal perspective are powerful to behold.
These words have echoed in my head as a challenge and reminder:
"I shared with a friend recently that I had been reading several articles on John Piper's website (www.desiringgod.com) regarding Heaven, as though studying up on some country I'm visiting on vacation soon. It's just all of a sudden become a very interesting topic to me. Sad that only the prospect of death has me at this place, because I believe as Christians we should be focusing on the fact that our stay on earth is quite brief and very temporal. Very little matters when you view it in light of eternity..."
"I am finally learning how much God hates sin. I HATE cancer. I am sick of it. And I realize cancer is just one more visible sign of sin in this world. So ultimately, I hate sin. And how much more does God hate sin? I am also realizing how helpless I am in this battle against AML. Just as helpless as I am, totally depraved and living in sin from the second I was born. Ultimately God is the cure, and He chooses to show mercy and grace as He wills. (Titus 3:5) He has already rescued me from the ultimate death of sin, and I trust He can rescue me from AML if He chooses. But if not, ultimately the price of sin has been paid, and I know I am secure, and I am thankful every second for the gift of faith..."
"Hold your loved ones a little closer for me today. Live life a little more -- wear your dressy clothes around the house just because life is really short and stains don't really matter. Don't get impatient about the little things..."
1 comment:
That is inspiring about Zach--and motivating to think about the larger picture, the one beyond our own lives and personal ambitions.
I had also read about Amy W., through a link on Janice's blog a while back. It was incredible to read about the courage and faith of someone faced with probably imminent death. In that situation you're forced to think about eternity on a daily basis.
Post a Comment