03 September 2009

A blog without photos

...can I do it?

Apparently I struggle with the idea of posting without an accompanying photo as it's been over a month since my last post. I said goodbye to my laptop a couple months back and we're still sorting out photo storage and programs on Stephen's mac. Hopefully, I'll get into a rhythm with that in the next couple of weeks. I have a (unrealistic given how tired I am these days) goal of catching up on three years of photo printing (including our time in Europe =thousands of photos total). Somehow that project always gets pushed to the end of the to-do list. Maybe because photos don't whine for dinner or give evidence of needing a diaper change.

So, the unifying theme of this post will be "what's new" with us.

Stephen started his last school year (of course work) as a PhD student this week (hooray!). It will be his busiest yet. Three classes a semester is considered full-time and he's taking four each semester. In addition, he is also Prof. Shipp at the Cambridge School for the second year. He is teaching two class periods of the same class each day instead of one like last year as it is a larger senior class. He's loving teaching "Political philosophy" again; trying to gear up and get excited about "AP US government" in the spring.

With my rapidly expanding midsection, I have graduated to mini-van mom. Just over a week ago, we became the happy owners of a used '98 Toyota Sienna. Nora has been praying for this purchase for months and it was so cute to see how excited she was when we went to pick it up (once she got over her brief disappointment that it was white, not red as she had hoped). My already high admiration for my husband was heightened even more during the course of our search (cars.com, craigslist, auto trader; a handful of first looks and three near purchases). It was time consuming and overwhelming, but Stephen handled all this responsibility accompanying a growing family with such patience and persistence.

Sometimes I'm overwhelmed to realize that we're about to be parents to three children, aged four and under. Some days I feel so old and tired and distant from the thoughtful, disciplined undergrad student I was just five years ago. I marvel at my husband who writes papers and teaches and comes home to play with kids for the evening while I struggle to put dinner on the table and clean up after. I think I am more physically drained with this third trimester than the others. I try to remind myself that chasing toddlers really is a full-time job, but it's hard not to be discouraged when I think about how little gets checked off my to-do list each day. When I remind myself that this is a season, which brings it's own rewards and PRAY more, my days pass more peacefully, if not as "productively." Meanwhile, I keep waiting for that breakthrough invention of energy for the prego mom. I guess it would probably help if my iron weren't low as I recently discovered. More red meat coming up.

Nora loves getting out and doing. I'm a homebody. We're finding a happy medium. She starts a couple community rec classes next week, and we have weekly play dates. I am striving for a daily routine that includes some school work and chores. She loves art related activities and I'm trying to provide more opportunity and supplies to encourage her interest. Sidewalk chalk, paint, play dough, glue and paper. I tell myself this is not a mess; it's a learning experience. And sometimes I listen. I love that Nora's weekly highlight is church. I know part of her excitement comes from seeing her friends, but she also genuinely loves Sunday school and children's church (she still sits with us for part of the service). We try to make a point of asking what she's learned, and she will usually report enthusiastically. She has a great memory as we've discovered through the catechism portion of our evening worship (we're still working toward regularity in that). So, we're also trying to work more with her in Scripture memory. I read recently on another blog how one family just reads the same chapter of Scripture each night for a month and by the end their toddler usually could recite a good portion of it. Good idea. Stephen and I are blessed as her parents to see her increased interest in the things of God. I'm reminded as she matures that spiritual growth is the work of the Holy Spirit. And I'm convicted to be child of God myself before my children, not simply "do" all these good things.

The amazing thing about second-borns is how they can grow up without you even realizing it. At some point Joseph transitioned from the baby to our little boy. He's very perceptive and more mechanically inclined. The other day I saw him pulling at an imaginary cord off his play lawn mower JUST LIKE Stephen pulls at the cord (is there a technical name?!) off our lawn mower to get it going. The exact same movements. And there was nothing there to act as a play cord. As I watched for another minute, I realized he would turn the plastic key, pull on his imaginary cord and shift the plastic gear, then push. I cracked up. Joseph quickly understood that I was laughing at him, and even though he appears more serious and shy of too much attention, he loves to be a joker among close friends and family. So, for the next 10 minutes he repeated the process with exaggerated movements and a comical expression to try to get me to laugh. He still loves horses -reading books about horses, having us draw him pictures of horses, riding imaginary horses, playing with toy horses... you get the idea. The boy is infatuated. I recently bought him a shirt for the fall with a horse on it. Stephen took one look at it and said, "You know he's never going to want to take this off." Hmm. I didn't think of that... I just pictured how excited he would be to see it. And he was. And he didn't. He left that darn long sleeve tee on for hours despite it being 95 degrees out. Needless to say it's hidden now until the colder temps come... in November. Maybe. Sigh. Still not loving TX weather. Thankfully, neither is my hubby, so we have hope of migrating back north sometime. Lord willing. But I digress. While Joseph has matured to boyhood in many ways, his progress in communication has been slow. I'm not worried as I see him developing at his own pace, but I can't deny he's behind in this area. And I wonder if we should be doing more. And if so, what. I guess I am more motivated to consider this because I know some of Joseph's daily frustrations could be eased by better communication. Ideas?

Baby is due in just over 7 weeks give or take a few days/weeks. We have enough baby things out now that all of our excitement is growing. We can't wait to meet this little guy, especially me. Did I mention I feel really, really pregnant? Also, I would swear that this one is BY FAR the most active in utero. Dramatic, startling movements. And constant right about bedtime. Also, I'm feeling more Braxton Hicks this time around and have been for weeks and weeks. I know this is normal for subsequent pregnancies, but it still is unsettling. I think subconsciously, I have labor more in mind earlier in the pregnancy because of that. And I still have 7 weeks to go. And he'll probably be late because I can't help but think he's going to be a bit early. Little bugger :) We're excited that both grandmas (and one Aunt Jenna!) will be able to come help in November. We'll need it! And it will be so much fun to have them. Now if only I can get a few things done before that... Better get to it! But first, post-nap snacks, and dinner prep and dinner and clean up and baths and family worship and ...exhaustion. Oh well. God is good and so is the life He's given us. We have so much to be thankful for; His mercies never cease!

7 comments:

Cosette said...

Sarah, I completely agree with this sentence "Some days I feel so old and tired and distant from the thoughtful, disciplined undergrad student I was just five years ago" Do you find yourself wondering sometimes where that person went? But then, God is good, and a little one wraps his arms around you, and you realize that the new you is so much more blessed :)

Rachelle said...

I'm with you on the "old and tired"....And thoughts of labor. I've told someone recently that I'm more terrified of labor with the third than I was with the first or second. I know what I'm facing. I'm also HUGE with the third so much earlier that it feels imminent (though it is still 3+ months away).

Don't worry too much about Joseph. In general boys are a little slower with communication and some of it could be personality related too. If he isn't talking at 3, then you should get him tested. Ben didn't talk until 4 (we did do some speech therapy/preschool for a year at 3+ but I'm not sure how much IT helped) and he has fully caught up with his peers and won't be quiet. If he had followed Kyri, I would have freaked out. She communicates in sentences at 2 1/2.

Blessings as you get ready for a new family member.

Megan said...

Love you, friend. Love your family. And I can't WAIT to hold Baby I. :)

Jenna Christine Marcisz said...

I cannot wait to see y'all!!!!!

Seth and Mary said...

So I'm a speech therapist and 2 of my 3 boys have been slow to develop communication-wise. I was more worried with Sam than JP since he was my first. The doctor has always encouraged me that children develop at their own pace and as long as his communication is moving in an upward direction you shouldn't worry so much. Every child is an individual and God made Sam to glorify him in his own unique way. That said, it's not a bad idea talk to someone about speech therapy through Early Intervention, which is a free program for birth to 3 and they often even come to your house. Even if he doesn't qualify for services an evaluation is great because the SLP can give you ideas for how to work with him yourself. Until Sam was 3 I only understood maybe 25% of what he said. By the time he was 4 I could understand everything. He does have a harder time with letters/sounds/numbers/fine motor skills than most kids his age, but again, those things seem to be developing at his own pace. Love and miss ya'll and can't wait to see pictures of #3! Give Nora our love!
Mary

Amy K said...

Sarah, So good to hear an update on your sweet family. How exciting Stephen is in his last year!! Yay!!!

I definitely feel like I've hit the wall with being pregnant and chasing two preschoolers around all day, cleaning up constant messes, etc., etc. You are not alone! There is a reason why I don't blog so much any more. I just can't seem to find 10 minutes for myself on most days. I also (like you) try to remind myself that this is just a short stage ... and try to ENJOY it because I know, looking back, it will be a very fast stage.

In the meantime, I join you in having thousands of photos waiting to be put in a book!

Amy :)

Jenna Christine Marcisz said...

Haha, i like the story about Joseph =)