19 March 2006

Family visits

If you live a ways from your family and don't see them as much as you'd like, I would offer a bit of advice. Have a baby. (if you're life situation is suitable, of course =)

It's worked for us very well. The first part of last week, Stephen's sister, Anna, spent part of her spring break with us and the week ended with a short visit from my family. Sigh. Never have I wanted so strongly to live in a number of different places simultaneously. Catching up is nice, but it really just shows you what you're "missing out on" with family/friends.

I had a wonderful time getting to know my only (currently) sister-in-law better over make-overs, manicures and hair cuts. We had a blast! She is a wicked Boggle-player. Even Stephen got whooped. Needless to say, I was toast in that competition.

And then with my family, I realized, again, how spoiled we all would be if aunts, uncles and grandparents lived close. Nora loves being the center of attention. My sisters have a gift with children. They can make an independent, active child, such as ours, cuddle. It was adorable and made me doubly sad to see my family go.

I was immeasurably happy, though, to see my hubby return tonight from a three-day trip to a friend's wedding and know without a shadow of a doubt that he's the one person in this world with whom I really couldn't stand to miss out sharing my life.

No comments: