13 September 2007

Searching for normalcy

It has not yet found. As I look back over our summer, I wonder that so much has happened. Life is so changed, and it keeps on changing. Nothing, as yet, is normal. I haven't gotten into that mother-of-two rhythm yet. Stephen is trying to find a routine as a full-time grad student who must also balance the needs of his family.

Nora has seen so much transition in her young life. She's lived in four different places and spent weeks of her life traveling -to see extended family and then in Europe. She's resilient, always has been. Still, as she's reached an age where she can remember family and friends made, it's hard to have her asking about them, to wonder what's unchanging, who she can count on.

We had no more than (mostly) unpacked in Dallas, had a celebratory meal with friends to mark the occasion and the next day I was in the hospital with Joseph. We were there for over 48 hours, had a number of tests run, and were sent home with a minor diagnosis. Nursing from my perspective has been much better, but Joseph had ingested blood from me that caused abnormal spit-up and diapers. We're home from the hospital now, but I'm still puzzling and searching for answers for why my baby boy is so fussy at feeding time. Maybe he, too, is sensing and responding to all the change.

I realize this post sounds pessimistic, but I'm not. We are growing to love our Dallas home. We have amazing friends who have been a solid support since we arrived. We have visited a couple excellent churches we would love to become active in. There is much promise here. Not the tangibles in and of themselves, but in the knowledge that our Lord has always been faithful. I have seen and felt more acutely my own sin and finiteness and been amazed at God's grace and power. I'm excited to see what He has for us in Dallas.

My faith is like shifting sand
Changed by every wave
My faith is like shifting sand
So I stand on grace
-Caedmon's Call

1 comment:

Amy K said...

We will pray for you guys to continue to settle in. Hopefully everything is going better with the baby's fussiness at eating times. We'll pray that things calm down and that you continue to adjust well. That's encouraging about the church options!