29 March 2006

Under the pine trees

Nora has a phobia. It's grass. Don't worry --she's in therapy and taking baby steps towards becoming a grass-hugger. I discovered her fear during our afternoon walk when I excitedly took her out of her stroller so she could stand barefoot. She screamed. It was actually quite funny. She frantically pulled on my leg and then when I didn't respond right away she lifted one foot as far up as she could and then just looked at the other one "stuck" on the ground. So, I eventually picked her up and we went in search of softer, greener grass. We found some under a "grove" of pine trees (if four skinny trees can be called a grove). It was actually a fun little spot. I have fond childhood memories associated with "playing house" under pine trees and using the cones as food and the needles as bedding. It is so precious to see my little girl explore nature and discover new things. By the end of our outing, she was beginning to warm to the prickly green stuff :)

2 comments:

Katie said...

LOL. Autumn did the same thing the first time I let her touch grass. :-) Now though, if I have her outside, she'll somehow manage to get off her blanket to get on the grass. Luckily, she hasn't been eating it yet. She just pets it and sings to it. Strange baby.

Rachelle said...

Ben hated grass for a long, long time. With therapy :) he has overcome.... :) R