29 October 2006

Cornbread

Today was a good day. I made a lot cornbread, and I ate a lot of cornbread. Yum.

You see, I had despaired of having any in the near future as corn meal is not sold in groceries here. But, thankfully, I know Americans here who have figured out a few things.

"Go to the grain and pet shop and you'll find 'finely ground polenta' which is essentially the same."

Once I got over the fact that cat food and cornmeal are sold over the same counter, I made my way to J.T Rodgers. Logically, the store, like other pet/grain shops, also sells specialty canned goods. So, I was able to get canned pumpkin (another item not readily available here). So, needless to say, pumpkin pie will be enjoyed by the Shipp family this week. I'll have to master whipping cream though in place of good-ol'-American Cool Whip.

1 comment:

The Heart said...

Homemade whipped cream is the best. You can do all kinds of fun stuff to it. When you are whipping the cream be careful that you do not whip it too long or it will turn into butter. You can add all kinds of things to change the flavor: coconut rum, vanilla, mint. Have fun!