"Pancake Day, or Shrove Tuesday, is the traditional feast day before the start of Lent on Ash Wednesday..."
Nearly all my co-workers and a number of our customers said they would be having pancakes for "tea" (dinner). At the market later, I noted a special display of pancake supplies including the only two maple syrup options. Here, I was told, pancakes are usually eaten with a sprinkling of sugar. "Do you eat them with maple syrup?" inquired John (an elderly regular who always orders "brown toast with the crusts cut off and a steaming coffee with frothy milk" which he lingers over before napping on our leather couch for an hour or two). I nodded the affirmative. He seemed amused at the novelty. "They're quite pleasant with a bit of lemon juice as well," said Katherine, John's wife. I had heard Pancake Day referenced in the preceding days, but didn't realize it was so widely observed. And so, we had pancakes for dinner. Not UK approved pancakes (thin) as I didn't start the batter soon enough to let it set for a half hour. Instead, I made the American buttermilk version -some plain and some with blueberries. On the plain, I tested the sugar and lemon (freshly squeezed) combination, and decided it was a keeper. Maybe pancake day is too.
"He said to them 'Why are you fearful, O you of little faith?' Then He arose and rebuked the winds and the sea, and there was a great calm." Mt. 8:26
20 February 2007
It's what's for dinner...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment