08 May 2007

Onions and rainbows



And you're thinking, "What a combination." I just love picking out post titles. Maybe I'll start numbering them. So, the alternate title for this one is "Post 192." (I think).

The pictures above were taken today. Nora "helped" me with dinner tonight by peeling the skins off a whole bag of onions. Now if I could get her to chop them, we would be making progress. Today is my first back-to-back full day with Nora by myself since I began working. She has hit toddler-hood in the meantime. I'm actually loving the flexibility and spontaneity of my new schedule (we surprised Stephen at "work" -his study spot in Classics library- with a latte and donut today), but it does require more patience and creativity to fill long days.

Also note in the first picture that Nora's shirt is inside out and unbuttoned in the back. She's starting to develop an "I can do it myself" attitude. While it sometimes results in disobedience, it often manifests itself in creative play. She spent about an hour this morning trying on the majority of clothes from the drawers she could reach. I'm really impressed overall with how well she can dress herself.

We've been having more typical Scottish weather (as opposed to the drier, warmer climate that St. Andrews often offers). Rain. More accurately, rain one minute, bright sunshine the next with very little forewarning. It's also been more windy. I keep hoping "summer" (with its 70 degree average temps) will arrive so I can enjoy a few weeks of it before I leave. I'm keen to have a picnic on the beach, and it's just been too cool for that. On the up side, we saw a double rainbow after dinner tonight. Shortly after Stephen snapped the picture above, I headed out to my Tuesday night Bible study. I love the smell and colors of the outdoors after a good rain. Everything was so bright and renewed and clean. As Stephen has been known to say, "It was good for the soul."

2 comments:

Amy K said...

Oh my goodness, I can just envision the onion peels on my own floor. I have one of those little girls, too. Kevin is much better than me in letting her help (meaning it takes 5X as long), and being patient with letting her do things herself. I'm trying to be better!

Double rainbows are so cool! Glad you got to enjoy one.

Shannon Koons said...

"I'm keen to have"? It's time to come back to the States...