28 February 2007

A plus for more pink...

I had another gal from church over for lunch today to visit and get as much information as I could from her about her birth experience. She delivered at the same hospital where we will have baby2. She had great practical advice and I really appreciated her description of the birthing facilities as tours are not offered. I found out that routine circumcisions are not done at the hospital (not in the UK in general, I believe). She said that upon request you can be placed on a waiting list for "cosmetic surgery" and have it done -for a fee. Her boy is six months though and they haven't heard anything. So, as much as we would like a boy, we could avoid that predicament if it was a girl. Also, after talking with her I was more firmly resolved in my (our) recent decision to go for a natural birth. It was a more pressing decision as the UK system prefers the natural approach and will not give epidurals unless asked for in your birth plan during pregnancy (not in labor). I'll just have to review my Bradley material and gear up mentally for it.

3 comments:

Rachelle said...

You can do it Sarah! Having said that I wrote in my journal following Kyri's birth: Next time, get the epidural. But a few months perspective says that I could do it again naturally if I do it again. I hope the facilities are nice. -rlr

Anonymous said...

You can do it!!! I gave birth to J all-natural, also with Bradley mthod. The body is made by God to be able to this. Women have been doing it for thousands of years.
God bless

Anonymous said...

Hi Sarah,

Just for your info -- you may already know, or they may have changed things in the last year or two: They will insist on using anathesia for the circumcision, which can be a risky thing for a baby. So, maybe a girl would be easier. :)
We enjoyed two natural HOME births in Scotland -- they are so good at home births and deliver everything to the home, and the midwives were great. I'm sure the hospital will be just fine. The BEST thing is that the midwives come to your home for the first 6 weeks and you don't have to travel in for checkups (unless your area is different)! I just loved that, and really missed it here in the US