28 April 2007

Fireworks in April


Stephen and I enjoyed quite the fireworks show just now from our bedroom window. It was a fun surprise -started at 10pm, lasted about 15 minutes. We're not sure what the occasion was. It's funny how such things are more a matter of course here in this posh University town. Two Saturdays ago I went into town for groceries and discovered throngs of people on the sidewalks and hundreds of flowers strewn on the roads. I had just missed a parade organized by one of the most prestigious clubs at the University. Stephen saw it from where he was working in the Classics library and said it was impressive -bagpipers, students in costumes depicting historical St. Andrews figures, horses and carriages. I was sorry to miss the excitement.

Nora and I met Stephen for a picnic lunch today. We ate our PBJ sandwiches, fruit and salt & vinegar crisps (as opposed to chips, which are french fries) on a bench overlooking the sea. Unfortunately, it was a cool day, so it was a quick lunch followed by a leisurely cup of coffee at a cafe nearby.

I have one more week of work (or three days or 13.5 hours) I am so excited! I'll miss the cheery regular customers, getting to know my co-workers and the paycheck, but I'll be glad to leave the work. I would never want to work full-time in food service. It can be exhausting work. Friday was the type of day that made me glad I was nearly done -trays of dirty dishes lining the kitchen floor, demanding and rude customers (why is it more often than not that they're American? sigh.). I may just have nightmares. Okay, so I'm being dramatic. Let me just say, this experience has taught me that I never want to own or operate a restaurant.

Tonight was "Lost night." We get together with a couple one weekend night a week to watch a couple episodes of the TV series. We're nearly through season 1 and so far almost nothing has been resolved. I hear from people who are current with the program (season 3) that many of the same mysteries are still unresolved. No doubt the show will be canceled before such resolution is reached. It's bound to happen...So, why do we put ourselves through it? I could attempt to wax philosophical about what we learn about our culture from the show, but I'll be honest and say that for me, it's mostly about the down time :0)

Stephen turns in a draft of his last paper of the semester on Monday. Then it's time for revision and turning in final drafts. His semester officially ends May 18, but he hopes to be done about a week before that and into his summer project at that point. I'm so grateful for my hardworking man.

The Brownfields come May 21. Yeah! We'll spend a few days with them here and then travel to England for a couple days. Then early June, my mom and sister come and I'll fly back to the States with them June 13th. It's all coming up so fast! Thankfully, "packing up" only involves deciding what we can fit in four pieces of luggage and unloading the rest on our friends here. We're in a furnished apartment so I'm just talking about things like clothes, shoes, books, toys, souvenirs, toddler equipment (do I have room for that potty chair and booster seat somehow?!).
That's all for this random news update. Have a good Sunday!

No comments: