Surprise #1: I stopped in ConPanna ("my" coffee shop) yesterday to pick up my wages and confirm the hours I was scheduled to work this week. The owner informed me that a gift had been left for me. She asked me if I had met "George" and I replied I had not. "George" is a regular early-morning customer, somewhat eccentric, usually donned in a kilt. Word is that he goes to bed at 6:30pm and wakes up in the middle of the night, at which time he begins to crochet (a small business or ministry? not sure). Apparently he learned there was an American girl at the shop who was pregnant and I received a crocheted wool blanket for the baby. I'm not sure I'll ever met him, but I suppose I should write a "thank you." The surprises of small town life...
Surprise #2: Stephen arrived home yesterday with a small library -6 Jane Austen books for me and 5 Paddington Bear books for Nora. The paperback volumes were printed on the dime of the Daily Telegraph and given out free for months at local coffee shop with purchase of a drink, I believe. Anyhow, Stephen heard from a guy at our church who works there that the promotion had ended leaving stacks of volumes in the storage room. He invited Stephen to come and pick some up at his convenience. So, Stephen did yesterday, buying a cappuccino so as not to be totally cheap. Still quite the deal for us. I love free books.
1 comment:
How fun to get a bunch of free books! Your coffee shop man who made you the blanket sounds very interesting:)
Post a Comment