28 February 2007

Challenging thought on parenthood...

A woman in my church is expecting her fifth child. She and her husband have four children -their oldest is six. She has been sick throughout her pregnancy (she is 28 weeks now), her sons have been in and out of the hospital in the last months, and they have much financial strain. Her family has had recent trials too numerous to list here. And I have been so encouraged by her example of faith, joy and sincerity. It is no secret that she would like a quiet girl to balance her four rambunctious boys. At Bible study last night though, on the eve of the day when she hopes to find out the sex of her new little one, she referenced this quote. She said if God wants them to raise a quiver of boys, then she is excited to see how He will use them. What a challenge to see a parent put their children in God's hands in that way with the proper perspective that we are entrusted with raising and training them -but not keeping them for ourselves. They are God's and what a privilege it will be to see God do his work in and through them.

Jim Elliott to his parents shortly before traveling to serve in Ecuador:

"I do not wonder that you are saddened at the word of my going to South America….Grieve not, then, if your sons seems to desert you, but rejoice, rather, seeing the will of God done gladly. Remember how the Psalmist described children? He said that they were as an heritage from the Lord, and that every man should be happy who had his quiver full of them. And what is a quiver full of but arrows? And what are arrows for but to shoot? So with the strong arm of prayer, draw the bowstring back and let the arrows fly – all of them straight at the Enemy’s hosts."

3 comments:

Kaitlyn said...

I like the quote :o)

Guess what...I figured out how to put music on my blog! I currently have Hayley Westenra, so you might not like it..but you should check it out sometime :o)

Amy K said...

Isn't it encouraging to see the testimony of God's grace in other people? I think that's why God lets us go through trials--to build each other up and focus on God's faithfulness.

Part of me, like you say, thinks it would be fun to have a boy this time because it would be nice to experience both genders. But then I think of how incredibly fun Meredith has been and I realize that maybe I should just be hoping for another "good personality" to be added to our family. :) God knows what the life calling of our children will be and He'll give them the gender that best suits that, I think. But it's still fun to hope and wish, huh? :)

the Tyrant said...

Wow. Thanks for that post.